Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Native American "Roots" -Illustration Friday

Native American "Roots" - Illustration Friday Challenge. Well it is getting close to the next week's challenge and I have been working on this dilligently since last week. This started out reflecting all of my heritage including flags from England, France, Germany, Scotland and Ireland. There was to be a Mayflower ship and a pilgrim in amongst the roots as well. But when it came right down to it. The peoples that deserved the credit the most were the peoples who's life blood is in the soil here. The soil and land that we took away from them...Native Americans. And since I can proudle say I have quite a bit of Native American blood in me that's who I chose to represent in this challenge..."Roots." It has taken me about six hours of work so far and I know it will be a few more before it's done. So...here it is...you get the idea.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Nic Squirrell said...

Wow, so detailed, what a lot of work!

carla said...

I like the intricacy of the roots intertwined with the images. It's a very effective illustration, conceptually and visually...lots to look at and think about!

Sarah said...

Lovely piece of work containing lots of ideas. Nice detail

Aravis said...

I really love this concept. It looks wonderful so far!

Ian T. said...

Ellen, this is wonderful and I really think we're on the same page in our thinking on this topic!

Dana S. Whitney said...

I like what you wrote about roots... My husband quotes Thomas Paine.. something on the order of The Tree of Liberty occasionally needs to be nourished with the blood of enemies and patriots... Not always sure I agree. PS: I am a May Sarton fan, too.

About Me

My photo
Delaware, United States
I'm a professional artist, a wife, a step-mother, grand-mother, friend, Ms. Fix-it, older sister and a daughter. A regular "person in progress!" Oh yah, and I draw alot! Copyright 2010-2012.

Blog Archive